Sunday, December 20, 2009

Driving down memory lane


This is a replica of a 1929 Mercedes-Benz Gazelle. I bought a car just like this one when I was 17-years-old with my own money that I had saved. It was a "kit car" that someone made. It had a VW engine in the back and the front part was the "trunk". My mom actually saw this car and fell in love with it and thought it would be really cool if I bought, so I did. I drove this car for about 2 years during my senior year in high school and freshman year in college. I hated having my hair blowing in the wind (why I bought a convertible, I will never know) so I would wear a white scarf over my hair with my 80's white sunglasses. I was so Audrey Hepburn-esque!

It wasn't the greatest car but it was fun. The gas gauge didn't work properly so I had to fill up the tank every two or three days because I was so afraid I was going to run out of gas. The turn signal didn't work properly either - I had to manually turn it off or I would be driving down the road with my blinker on frustrating other drivers. This was probably not the safest car for anyone to drive let alone a teenager. What was my mom thinking?!


Other cars I have owned (in chronological order):

1972 Ford Pinto – one of 50 of the worst cars ever made. I bought it for $200 from my aunt and eventually sold it for $500.

1980 VW Rabbit Diesel – I only had to gas up once a month and back then diesel was way cheap. Unfortunately, it made a cloud of black smoke whenever I accelerated. Probably not too good for the environment.

1929 Mercedes Benz Gazelle replica

1985 Nissan Maxima – one of the coolest cars I have ever owned. Five-speed. Sunroof. Loud stereo.

1988 Honda Accord – my first CD player.

1995 Nissan Altima

2005 Chevy Tahoe – it’s big and it’s bad!
What was your favorite car?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, What a car. I don't have a favorite. I have only had two cars. A 1989 Honda CRX, when I got home from my mission and my current Altima. I need your address for my Christmas letter. Will you also send me Tiffany Turleys address. My email is bonnie.critch@gmail.com Thanks

The Watson's said...

I remember riding in that car thinking you were so cool! Here are my cars:
family suburban in high school
1974 monte carlo (I'm sure you remember that one well!)
1984 toyota camry (you were with me when I got that one as well!)
1994 jeep grand cherokee
1995 nissan maxima
2006 nissan murano
1997 honda civic (yeah, we are going backwards, but hoping to upgrade this summer!)

Shauna said...

AH - The Monte Carlo! Remember how the horn always honked whenever you made a right-hand turn? That thing was a BOAT! Fun times, though, fun times!