Tuesday, July 13, 2010

...and justice for all!

This afternoon I see a van pull into a Handicap parking spot and watch two older teenage girls get out of the car and without any difficulty whatsoever walk into the store. Normally, I would have shaken my head to myself and gone about my business. Unfortunately for those girls I didn't do that today. After asking them if they realized where they parked I reminded them that it is illegal to park there (okay, so they had the handicap tag hanging on the mirror but I was determined to make my point.) After they stammered a bit about why they parked there I just put up my hand to stop them from talking and said, "That's okay. I get it. You're mentally handicapped" and I turned and walked away.

Now I'm feeling a little guilty for saying anything at all. They clearly had a legal permit to park there and I totally judged someone without knowing their situation at all. I blame it on the TV show "Primetime:What would you do?" I don't want to be the person that just walks away and not do anything.

5 comments:

Maddy said...

WOOT WOOT for Shauna! I love it.

Mamacita said...

Love it! The rest of us just think about it...you did it! I bet they think twice about it next time.

Casey said...

I'm sure the car belonged to a parent of one of the girls and that's who the handicapped tag applied to. Huge pet peeve of mine Shauna. But I'll have to admit I've never been gutsy enough to say anything...you've inspired me to say something next time. Mentally handicapped? Good one - love it!!!!!

Shelli said...

Shauna,
I TOTALLY agree, I just saw a young boy park in front of me in a handicapped place earlier tonight...I use my handicapped plaquard now that I broke my ankle, because walking long distances does hurt, but I don't in any way look handicapped...well not in my walk anyway :o)...Now that I have this problem, I am even more aware of who parks where....call the police next time. The plaquards are registered to the 'person' not the car....

Molly said...

That is awesome Shauna!~ I would have totally said something - I have confronted people on things like that a lot. Now I don't think I would have been quick enough to come up with the mentally handicapped line, that is priceless! That Primetime show is awesome - I would hat to be caught on camera not saying something!