A few weeks ago I had a doctor's appointment. I was embarrassed when I made the phone call and even more embarrassed when I was actually in the doctor's office. I felt like a hypochondriac. I don't usually go to the doctor for every little ache and pain but if it is something that persists for quite awhile then I will go see a professional. Well, I had several things happen within a couple of weeks of each other and I figured I might as well have everything looked at at the same time. Plus, I drive a big ol' SUV so I try to conserve gas when I can. So, the nurse asks me what I was in for and I told her I had a list. She kind of laughed (as if I was joking!) I somehow hurt my right elbow and the pain was getting worse instead of better. I was also having pain behind my right rib, every time I bent over I would get this shooting pain. (After reviewing WebMD, I came to the conclusion it could be my gallbladder and I needed to get it checked out. Alan hates it when I try to self-diagnose!) I was also have a pain in my right foot (you see a pattern here? - right elbow, right side of abdomen, right foot??) Anyway, I was concerned it might be a stress fracture or something. I figured if I'm going to see the doctor I might as well make it worth my while! So, after giving the nurse my list of problems she asked me if I was in for my 35,000 mile check up. Since I am 38 years-old and I almost corrected her and said 38,000.
It turns out that I am just a hypochondriac after all. Nothing could be found wrong with my gallbladder or anything else in that area. (The pain has since subsided.) Nothing could be found wrong with my foot either. If I wanted I could probably get a cortisone shot in my foot to see if that helps. A shot in my foot?! NO THANKS! I can live with the moderate discomfort. As far as my elbow, it turns out to be tendinitis or tennis elbow. I have to do physical therapy 3 times a week for 3 weeks. Unfortunately, I haven't met my insurance deductible for the year so my co-pay is $50 a visit until I reach my deductible limit. Now that causes me great pain! Luckily, my physical therapist took pity on me and gave me several exercises to try at home and see if I can work out the pain myself so I only have to go once a week. I tried to get my therapist to write me a prescription to relieve me of my household duties like cleaning house and making dinner. Sadly, that was a no-go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)

6 comments:
If you save up the aches and pains you only have one co-pay right? You're not a hypochondriac, we're just getting old! I've had a pain in my ribs forever. I'm convinced William broke my ribs when I was pregnant with him. The doctor said it could happen with a 9 lb 5 oz. baby. It only hurts occasionally, and when I'm pregnant...and that's not happenin again!!
This is so funny (well, not about your aches & pains)!! I always try to look up what I have on the internet and end up coming to the conclusion that I am dying. I am glad that someone else tries to self-diagnose at times!!
My grandparents had a saying on their wall that said, "Getting Old is not for sissys!" I am afraid I am starting to understand and every year older I get I am sure I will understand better and better.
Hang in there Sorella.
I am still very curious how you found my blog??? Are there any other Sorelle that have blogs? Love having you on my friends list!!!
Ha ha ha!! I've had a stomach ache for TWO WEEKS and I still refuse to go in. I keep thinking if I just eat bananas for a day it will go away. Maybe if I go self-diagnose, it will scare me enough to go see a doctor. I mean, really, I shouldn't be up all night with stomach pains for 2 weeks, right?
Maddy, I had a stomach ache for 3 days several months ago. I finally went to the doctor and I had a urinary tract infection. No other symptoms except for the stomach ache. I'm a firm believer that if something bothers me for more that 3 days - there's something wrong and a doctor needs to be involved.
I like to hear that I have fellow hypochondriacs around! Skye rolls his eyes at me all the time because for one reason or another I always think I have cancer. :) There's nothing worse than spending a co-pay to find out nothing is really wrong with you. Hope all the aches and pains cease soon!
Post a Comment