Sunday, March 8, 2009

Labor, delivery, and choosing a name

In Labor:
I had a OB appointment on Wednesday, March 4 and the doctor informed me I was dilated to a 3 and 70% effaced. After my appointment I went to meet Alan since he was having meetings nearby. I was able to catch him in between meetings so we went to lunch. All during lunch I kept having contractions but then again I have been having contractions for about 2 weeks. However, these seemed different. Lot more painful. I could barely drive myself home but I didn't want to get my hopes up. (Plus my doctor wasn't on-call until the weekend and I wanted for him to deliver at least one of my babies.) I came home and layed down for a little while until Alan called. I told him weeks ago that if I texted him during a meeting with a "911" message that he needed to come home immediately. So when Alan called I answered the phone, "911!" He asked if I was serious and I said I was pretty sure. (He was already at the hospital having meetings but he came home to get me and drove me back to the hosptial.) My mom came and got the girls and off to the hosptial we went.

Delivery:
We checked in about 3:30 p.m. and had the baby at 6:48 p.m. I was able to push a 9 lbs. 7 oz. baby out in less than 10 minutes! (If only the rest of the pregnancy was that easy!) With my 4th or 5th push I actually broke my own water. Luckily, no one was in front of me but everyone standing close by jumped back about two feet. Dr. Tamanaha actually hid behind one of the nurses.

Before they moved me to my room the nurse wanted me to go to the bathroom. I was feeling pretty good even though my legs felt tingly after the epidural. When I got to the bathroom I started to get woozy and I knew I was going to pass out. I told the nurse what was happening so she took me in her arms and held me with a tight grip. I could hear her talking to me but I couldn't talk or move. My arms were dead weight. After a few minutes I came to. A strong acidic smell burned my nose and I heard people shouting my name. I couldn't really open my eyes so I finally murmured, "I can hear you." When I finally opened my eyes I saw six nurses surrounding me and one of them was waving a stick under my nose. They got me back to the bed and checked my vitals several times. Luckily everything checked out fine.

Choosing a Name:
We didn't have a name picked out at all. Emily was kind of on the list but we just weren't sure about it. All through the labor we sat there throwing names out at each other and nothing was right. When I got to my room after the delivery the nurse put on the board as one of my goals was to name the baby. Finally we just made the decision and went with Emily. When I told the nurse we picked a name she told me that the day before when she had the baby in the nursery checking her vitals, etc. she commented to the other nurses that the baby didn't have a name. So all the nurses gathered around to see what she looked like. Three nurses said she looked like an Emily, one said Samantha. It was meant to be!

8 comments:

Burwell's Bits said...

Congratulations!!!!! She is beautiful and you look amazing. I am so impressed with you 10 minutes of pushing. (Of course anyone who can deliver naturally is amazing in my book.) May she sleep for hours that you may too in your new room. Enjoy!

Rickie said...

Wow, what a story. I am so glad that she is finally here! As big as she was, you really should have had dibs on delivering first. I love her name, I totally think she looks like an Emily! Congratulations. We were all talking about you at playgroup on Friday, wondering what the news was, but I was too nervous to bug you. She's beautiful. CongratS!

Chelsea said...

Shauna! She is so precious! I want to squeeze her! Man you do labor fast! I am jealous! Congrats, and hope you guys are getting some kind of sleep schedule going on!

Mamacita said...

She is beautiful!! I love her name. You're my hero! 9lbs 7oz? Congratulations on your newest baby girl! Alan is definitely outnumbered, but loving every minute I'm sure! Saw your other two at Anne's house...they are soo cute!

Maddy said...

HOORAY! She's beautiful. I got your phone message and it made me laugh goofy girl! Can't wait to hold her. Invite me over soon!

Nicole said...

congrats! Im so happy for you!!!! and good job pushing out that "little" girl!

Strader's Funny Farm said...

What an adventurous delivery! Congratulations! We will come by soon and see everyone now that we are all healthy! Hope you are all adjusting well.

Strader's Funny Farm said...

Congratulations! We're so happy for you guys. I love the name. Christine's dad wanted a bunch of Davids and Davidas walking around. Alana works out great.