Monday, February 16, 2009

Three's a crowd

I have been talking with Kayla lately about the arrival of the new baby (any day now, right?!) I've been trying to explain to her what will take place - Mommy and Daddy will go to the hospital, Kayla and Ashlyn will go stay with Grandma and Papa and then come see Mommy and the baby at the hospital, etc. Today Kayla and Ashlyn have not been playing well together. Ashlyn has what Kayla wants and Kayla has what Ashlyn wants. After about the ninth meltdown I sat them down and told them this was unacceptable. (Yeah, like a civilized conversation about the situation is going to make it all better!) I told Kayla that we need to love each other and play with each other nicely - especially when the new baby comes. I reminded her again what to expect when Mommy has the baby. Here is our conversation:

Kayla: Mom, I don't want to keep the new baby. Let's give it to somebody else.
Me: Why would we give the baby to somebody else? She's our baby and I want to keep her.
Kayla: No, we can't keep her. We need to give Ashlyn to somebody else.
Me: Do you want me to give you to somebody else?
Kayla: No!
Me: Oh, right. Should we get rid of Daddy then? After all, he is a boy.
Kayla: No! You got married to him!
Me: That's right. I love Daddy very much and I want to keep him forever. And I love you and Ashlyn and the new baby very much and want to keep all of you forever and ever. You can't just get rid of your sisters.
Kayla: No, Mom. I already have a baby. [Ashlyn is her baby.] I don't want another one. It's too many.

All along I was worried that Ashlyn might be the one jealous of the new baby.

4 comments:

Mamacita said...

That conversation is priceless. They will be best buddies in no time I am sure. Good luck to all of you!

Burwell's Bits said...

Well if you need a home for the baby tell Kayla we will take her. Riley keeps telling me she wants five babies. I don't know that it matters where they come from.

Jacey said...

So funny! She'll be fine once the new addition arrives. She'll want to be the mom! I left a comment on your "girls beds" post. Read below...
good to hear from you!

marnee said...

I watched my sister in law the other day with her one year old. It reminded me how exhaused I was when Kameron was little. Reading your post is reminiscent of that. You are amazing!