Friday, February 27, 2009

What would you do?

I used to work for an all-girl Catholic high school and one of my responsibilities was to coordinate a turn-around Disneyland trip. That means we left at 2:00 a.m. on Saturday (traveling by bus), arrived at Disneyland by 8:00 a.m., played all day, left the park by 11:00 p.m., and arrived home by 5:00 Sunday morning. I've been to Disneyland a lot. I love it! It is truly the "happiest place on earth." One of the perks about the trip was all the chaperones and their guest got to go for free. It was a nice deal. We even got spending money to help pay for food and souvenirs. Really nice deal! Even though it was a lot of fun it was still exhausting. One year it rained and that was miserable. Once we got wet we were wet the entire time - even driving home on the bus.

My mom works at this same high school. (She got me the job.) The Disneyland trip is coming up and she really, REALLY wants to take Kayla. And she does not understand why I won't let her go. My mom has discussed this with all of her friends and her friends don't understand why I won't let my three-year-old go to Disneyland with Grandma.

Here's our arguments:

Mine: Alan and I really want to be the ones to take Kayla to Disneyland for the very first time. It's our parental right. END.OF.ARGUMENT! (We are hoping to go as a family this year, possibly for Christmas with Grandma and Papa invited.)

Hers: Kayla will be even MORE excited to go to Disneyland the NEXT time since she has already been there.

Mine: That's a long, long day for a three-year-old. (Almost 30 hours.) She might sleep on the bus, she might not. There's no place to take a nap unless she happens to fall asleep in the stroller.

Hers: Other people have done it and it hasn't been a problem for them.

Mine: What if it rains? I don't want her to be wet and cold all day long.

Hers: Then they will find a restaurant to sit for a while or go to the one of the theaters in California Adventure. (Mine: Along with everyone else trying to escape the rain.)

So, tell me. What would you do? Would you let Grandma take a three-year-old to Disneyland for the very first time on a turn-around trip? Am I just being a over-protective-stick-in-the-mud mom?

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Shauna! I hate conflict with grandparents about parenting decisions. Sorry you are having to argue this out with your mom. What would I do? My kid wouldn't go. First trip to DLand, Mom and Dad are there. There is too much magic and wonder on your childs face for you to miss it. "Sorry Grandma, but do join us at Christmas when our family goes to Disneyland"

Mamacita said...

Wow! I'd have to say I'm with you. First, the long bus thing is more for older kids I would say. Also, the first step into main street with a three year old...It's a can't miss! Sorry Grandma. Parents trump Grandma this time!

Shelli said...

Ok...here are my two cents....don't let your mom take any pictures and take a TON of them when you take her, that way, when she is 20, she won't remember anything but the pictures...Let her go is my vote, she'd have a BLAST two times...

Kim said...

If it wasn't a turn around trip where they leave early and get home late, I might say let them go with grandma. But I think you are right. That's a lot for a young girl to handle. She'll be really tired. Also, I agree that as a parent you want to see the joy on their face when they see it for the first time. So plan a trip for later and invite your mom to come along so she can experience Kayla's first trip as well.

AZ Hey-mon said...

with you babe. too much for the girl. Mom and Dad gotta be there for the first visit.

Ann said...

To use an Alan-ism: "That would be no with a capital HELL". You know I love your mom, but are you kidding me? That would practically kill a grown adult with the coping skills to get through the really long day, bus ride (would she even sleep?), and recovery for the who knows how many days after. And who would know better than you since you've done it so many times. My vote would go toward grandma and papa joining your family at Christmas time. Was my opinion clear?

jenreeder said...

I let Julie go with my mom and dad for the first Disney experience... but it was a whole different story!! They took her one on one to DisneyWorld! It was a sacrifice letting her go without us, but we felt like it was a great experience for her. They had so much fun that we all went back together later...
With this background info I give you my answer... NO!! I would not let her go!! That is too much for a little girl with a turn around like that... if you are going to give up the first Disney experience it should be worth it!!

jacque said...

my vote...no way

Larson's said...

No Way! Just imagine how many cute Kayla quotes you would miss. She would be a riot at Disneyland. Mom and dad can't miss that.